Cancer bush (Sutherlandia frutescens) is a plant commonly used as a natural remedy in Southern Africa . Cancer bush tea, also known as “Kankerbos” tea, is a kind of tea made from the leaves and stems of the cancer bush plant. Although people have traditionally used it and there are stories about it being good for health, we should remember that there aren’t many scientific studies about it. We need more research to be sure if it works.
The benefits of caner bush tea have not received much attention from science. However, in this article, we try to address more well-grounded health benefits of cancer bush tea and also its side effects.
Cancer Bush Tea Benefits
Drinking cancer bush tea may have some good effects on your health. Some of the most significant cancer bush tea benefits are as below :
Anti-oxidants are substances that help protect the body from the damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals. Free radicals are highly reactive molecules that can damage cells and DNA, leading to various diseases, including cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and aging-related disorders. Cancer bush contains several compounds with potential anti-oxidant properties, including flavonoids, tannins, and canavanine.
These compounds can help neutralize free radicals and reduce oxidative stress in the body. Oxidative stress occurs when there is an imbalance between the production of free radicals and the body’s ability to neutralize or detoxify them [3, 4].
Boosting Immune System
Some traditional uses of cancer bush tea include boosting the immune system and assisting the body in fighting infections. Some studies have suggested that it may have immune-enhancing properties.
Cancer bush tea might have substances that reduce swelling in the body. Long-term inflammation is connected to different health issues like cancer, heart disease, and autoimmune disorders.
Cancer bush is commonly used in traditional medicine to make people feel calm, relaxed, and less stressed or anxious. Some people believe it can also improve your mood .
Energy And Stamina
Cancer bush has been used in traditional ways to boost energy and endurance. Some people believe drinking tea might boost energy and help with fatigue.
In old-fashioned medicine, cancer bush is sometimes used to help with problems like bronchitis, coughs, and the common cold.
Potential Anti-Caner Properties
Some early studies have found that extracts from cancer bush plants might have some ability to stop cancer cells from growing and spreading. However, more research is required to understand its effectiveness in treating cancer .
Supporting Liver Health
There is an idea that drinking cancer bush tea can make your liver work better and remove toxins, helping to keep it healthy.
That’s not all benefits of cancer bush. Cancer bush is sometimes used for its potential analgesic (pain-relieving) properties. However, scientific evidence supporting this use is scarce, and more research is needed to confirm its effectiveness.
Cancer Bush Benefits For Females
Although there is not much scientific research on the benefits of cancer bush tea specifically for women, there are some potential advantages that might be relevant for females, as follows:
- Balancing hormones: Cancer bush might be helpful for women who have problems with their hormones, like during menopause or when their periods are not regular. It can help to balance hormone levels.
- Reducing hot flashes: During menopause, some women may have sudden feelings of heat called hot flashes. Cancer bush might help lessen these symptoms since it has properties that can regulate hormones.
Cancer Bush Side Effects
Although cancer bush is usually safe to eat , it’s important to be aware of possible side effects that few people may experience, such as:
- Nausea and digestive issues: Sometimes, people might feel uncomfortable in their stomachs, feel like vomiting, or have slight problems with digestion after drinking cancer bush tea. This usually goes away on its own after a while.
- Allergic reactions: Some people may be allergic to cancer bush, which can cause itching, hives, swelling, or trouble breathing. If you have any of these symptoms after drinking the tea, you must go to a doctor immediately.
- Interaction with medications: Cancer bush can affect how some medications work, like blood thinners, anti-anxiety medications, or drugs that suppress the immune system. If you take any medicines, it is important to talk to your doctor before drinking cancer bush tea to ensure it won’t interfere with your medications.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not much information about whether cancer bush is safe for pregnant or breast-feeding women. It is better to be safe and ask a doctor before drinking this tea at these times.
- Drug tests: Some sources suggest that drinking cancer bush tea might affect certain drug tests as it can make them show false positive results for drugs like amphetamines or opioids. If you are getting tested for drugs, it is advisable to inform the testing facility about any herbal teas or supplements you have consumed.
Although cancer bush tea is usually safe to drink in moderate amounts, it’s important to pay attention to how your body reacts. If you notice any negative side effects, it is best to stop drinking it. Before you start drinking cancer bush tea regularly, talking to a healthcare professional is a good idea. This is especially important if you have any existing medical conditions or are already taking medications.
Source: Martin Heigan
How To Make Cancer Bush Tea?
To prepare cancer bush tea, you will need the ingredients and instructions listed below:
- 1 tablespoon of dried cancer bush leaves or teabags
- 2 cups of water
- Honey or lemon (optional) for flavor
- Heat the water in a pot until it starts boiling.
- Add the dried cancer bush leaves or teabags to the boiling water.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- After simmering, remove the pot from the heat and let it steep for an additional 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea to remove any loose leaves or teabags.
- If desired, add honey or lemon to taste for added flavor.
- Pour the tea into cups or mugs and serve hot.
How Much To Drink Cancer Bush Tea Per Day?
Currently, there isn’t enough scientific proof to say how much cancer bush tea should be consumed each day to treat or prevent cancer or other health problems. However, some websites advise drinking three times a day for severe diseases and one cup daily for health maintenance.
It is recommended to talk to a doctor before using herbal teas or supplements for health reasons. This is because they can affect how your medications work and may be unsafe for everyone.
It is important to note that cancer bush has traditionally been used for its potential health benefits. Still, more scientific research is needed to understand its properties and effectiveness fully. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before consuming cancer bush or any herbal remedy, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking medications.
Despite many potential health benefits, it is important to note that cancer bush should not be considered a sole treatment for any specific health condition. It should be used in moderation and as part of a balanced lifestyle.
Many effective medical treatments for cancer are available, and it is crucial to rely on evidence-based treatments supported by scientific research. If you or someone you know is affected by cancer, it is recommended to seek medical advice from oncologists or healthcare professionals specialized in cancer treatment.